сряда, 25 ноември 2020 г.

Back to the basics



 As I was walking home tonight, I thought I would have some time to play on my electric piano. A surprising message came from my niece that she would like me to help her with some mathematical explanations. And this came after she asked me to help her with her exam on the next day. She wrote a specific time slot which pointed me to two things. First, she wanted me to solve the mathematical problems in real time. Second - I have completely forgotten that the students are now studying on-line.

I refused to do that for her. For me she had two options she could choose from. To use my support and learn something in the last moment or to learn from the decisions she has made in the past.

I was glad when she messaged me with a specific question that she needed help with. I jumped right on to helping her. It was a challenge for me as well. I had to go back to 8th grade. After a long conversation I was happy as it was a great deal of learning for both of us. Very few things were maths related. Most of it it was about principles I've learnt on my way to where I am now. And oh how this helps me connect a lot of dots as I am in a position where I need someone to teach me stuff but in the same time I teach other stuff to others. Changing my perspective from teaching to being taught helps me so much to be present and efficient in whatever state I am currently at.

At the end I think my niece will actually have chosen both - to learn a bit from me and will have inevitably be  subjected to the mistakes from her decisions from the past. I can't wait to hear feom her once the exam is over. Feedback is very important in the process of learning.

...in maths we trust...

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар